“The Emotional Rescue is easily defined as a Manhattan variation in its basic anatomy,” explains Karen Fu of Brooklyn’s Donna, “but it’s more about the Kina d’or, a French quinquina.” Part of an ever-expanding family of Manhattan spin-offs, the Emotional Rescue was originally dubbed the Emotionally Exhausted by the drink’s creator, Brian Miller, who took inspiration from Chad Solomon’s Bensonhurst.
- 1 1/2 ounces rye, preferably Wild Turkey
- 3/4 ounce quinquina, preferably Kina L’Avion d’Or
- 3/4 ounces dry vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/2 teaspoon Cherry Heering
- 1/2 teaspoon maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
Garnish: orange twist
- Stir all ingredients with ice.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.