A nod to the classic New York Sour, the Empire Sour featured on Hawksmoor’s “New York State (Of Mind)” menu, showcases in-state distilleries and purveyors. The drink incorporates Brooklyn-made Ragtime Rye and Current Cassis, a blackcurrant liqueur from the Hudson Valley, and forgoes fresh lemon juice in favor of cordial made with citric acid. The vinegary kick of verjus gives the drink the tang of a shaken sour when the cocktail only sees a quick stir over a big rock.
- 2 1/4 ounces rye, preferably Ragtime Rye
- 3/4 ounce blanc verjus
- 1/2 ounce cassis, preferably Current Cassis
- 1/4 ounce Velvet Falernum
- 1/4 ounce cardamom cane syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 teaspoon citric cordial (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: flaming shiso leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice and briefly stir.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a flaming shiso leaf.
5 green cardamom pods
250 grams cane sugar
125 grams water
Crush the pods and add to a saucepan with cane sugar and water over low heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Take off heat and let cool. Strain through chinois or muslin to remove cardamom, store in refrigerator.
25 grams citric acid powder
250 grams superfine sugar
250 grams water
Combine all ingredients and stir until fully incorporated. Store in the refrigerator.