A split base of aquavit and tequila yields a rich drink without a lot of sugar, explains Vose. The split bitters mix (Peychaud’s and Creole bitters) adds a spicy accent.
- 1 1/2 ounces aquavit, preferably Linie
- 3/4 ounce reposado tequila, preferably El Tesoro
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar syrup (1:1, cane sugar:water)
- 4 dashes House Peychaud's Bitters (see Editor's Note)
- 1 dash Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Express the lemon peel and discard.
House Peychaud's Bitters:
In a dasher bottle, combine equal parts Peychaud's Bitters and Bitter Truth Creole Bitters.