Though most people make their Piña Coladas with white rum alone, Erick Castro incorporates four rums into his recipe, in a nod to tiki tradition. From there, he calls on an unorthodox preparation and shakes the drink with a half an ounce of pebble ice to better integrate measures of pineapple juice and Coco Lopez coconut cream.
- 1/2 ounce white rum, preferably Plantation 3 Stars
- 1/2 ounce overproof rum, preferably Smith & Cross
- 1/2 ounce dark rum, preferably Plantation Original Dark
- 1/2 ounce rhum agricole, preferably Clément Rhum Agricole Première Canne
- 1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 ounces Coco Lopez
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
Garnish: orange slice, brandied cherry, pineapple frond
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with 1/2 ounce pebble ice, to dissolve.
- Strain into a chilled Hurricane glass filled with pebble ice
- Garnish with an orange slice, a brandied cherry and a pineapple frond.