“I like mixing booze and beer together, some kind of upper and a downer,” says bartender and Bacardi brand ambassador Fanny Chu. This rum riff on an Espresso Martini draws on the bittersweet chocolate notes of Guinness in a beer syrup to deepen the cocktail’s flavor.
Fanny Chu | Brooklyn, New York
- 2 ounces rum, preferably Bacardi Ocho
- 1 ounce fresh espresso
- 1/2 ounce Guinness stout syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/2 ounce Giffard Banane du Brésil
- 8 drops Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters
Garnish: orange twist (expressed then discarded), freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice, and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a coupe.
- Express the orange twist over the drink, then discard.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
Guinness Stout Syrup
Combine equal parts beer and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally and skimming off the foam, until reduced to a light syrup consistency, about 30 to 45 minutes. Be sure not to stir the mixture too much; doing so may cause the syrup to crystallize.