Eric Simmons describes his Expect the Unexpected as “one of those kitchen drinks.” That is, the sweetener is a cilantro-cayenne-honey syrup, which is shaken with tequila, lime and grapefruit juices, made frothy by aquafaba, or chickpea cooking liquid. Though it may strike certain drinkers as adventurous, Simmons insists that the elements he pulls in from the kitchen “hit all points for everybody”—they are culinary and crowd-pleasing.
- 2 ounces reposado tequila
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce aquafaba
- 1/2 ounce cayenne-cilantro syrup (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: cilantro leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain until a coupe.
- Garnish with a cilantro leaf.
2 cups honey
1 cup water
1 gram cayenne powder
8 cilantro leaves
In a suacepan, combine the first three ingredients over low heat until incorporated. Add the cilantro leaves and stir for a few minutes before fine straining the syrup into a bottle.