The most unusual Paloma to chart at our blind tasting came from Fanny Chu, most recently of Brooklyn’s Donna. She combined 1 1/2 ounces Espolón tequila with 3/4 ounce each of Ruby Red grapefruit and lime juices, 1/2 ounce of Giffard Pamplemousse liqueur, 1/4 ounce of simple syrup and 1/4 ounce of the Italian aperitivo liqueur Aperol, which gave the drink a remarkably deep pink hue. This was all topped with Fever-Tree club soda. Despite the surfeit of components, the judges thought the drink balanced, equally tart and sweet.
- 1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila, preferably Espolón
- 3/4 ounce Ruby Red grapefruit juice
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce grapefruit liqueur, preferably Giffard
- 1/4 ounce Aperol
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
- soda water, preferably Fever-Tree, to top
Garnish: lime wedge, grapefruit slice, salt rim (optional)
- Add all the ingredients, except for the soda water, into a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Pour into a Collins glass over ice.
- Top with soda water and garnish with a lime wedge and grapefruit slice.