The winning drink in our recent Piña Colada blind tasting came from Fanny Chu, of Brooklyn’s tropical-minded cocktail bar, Donna. The judges found the balance of flavors to be nearly perfect. Their only quibble was that the drink was served on cobbled ice rather than blended. (The judges enjoyed the recipe so much, after the competition was over, they ordered a blended version. It was good, too.)
- 1 ounce demerara rum, preferably El Dorado 5 Year
- 1 ounce Panamanian rum, preferably Pedro Mandinga Panama silver
- 1 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce Coco mix (3:1, Coco Lopez: coconut milk)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce rich demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar:water)
Garnish: pineapple wedge, pineapple fronds, cherries and an edible orchid.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with a few pebbles of crushed ice.
- Pour into a Hurricane glass and top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge, pineapple fronds, cherries and an edible orchid.