“I asked the question: ‘What would a carrot Negroni look like?’ and this is where we ended up,” explains Shannon Tebay of her earthy, vegetal spin on the Italian classic. The base of Linie aquavit “seasons everything with caraway” and is complemented by artichoke-flavored Cynar as well as a small measure of Reisetbauer carrot eau de vie. The latter operates almost like a tincture, a small but potent component that doubles as the centerpiece of the drink. “Even though everything else in there has such big flavor, because they all pair so well, it pulls out the carrot in a huge way,” she says.
- 1 1/2 ounces aquavit, preferably Linie
- 1 ounce vermouth, preferably Cocchi di Torino
- 3/4 ounce Cynar
- 1 teaspoon carrot eau de vie, preferably Reisetbauer
Garnish: orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a double rocks glass over ice.
- Stir to integrate.
- Garnish with an orange twist.