Bartender Camille Razo recommends using a “fat third” of both the lemon and lime juices in her bitter Fernet Ramos. Also of note: the Coca-Cola is poured into the Collins glass first, not last (“the bubbles help it coagulate,” Razo explains). After mixing, the drink is set in the freezer to help solidify the froth on top.
- 1 ounce Fernet-Branca
- 1 ounce blended Scotch, preferably Monkey Shoulder
- 1/3 ounce lemon juice
- 1/3 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce vanilla syrup (See Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce orange cordial (See Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1 egg white
- 3 ounces Coca-Cola
- Combine all ingredients except the Coca-Cola in a mixing tin with ice.
- Shake well, then strain ingredients into a second mixing tin.
- Shake again without ice.
- Pour Coca-Cola into a Collins glass, then pour the contents of the shaker over the cola. (The drink will fizz up, and you’ll likely have three or four ounces of the alcohol and cream mixture left over. Set it aside.)
- Place the glass in the freezer for three minutes.
- Remove the glass from the freezer. Use a straw to poke a hole in the middle of the drink, then pull it out. If excess bubbles cling to the straw, put the drink back in the freezer for a couple of minutes, and repeat the process.
- Swirl the mixing tin containing the remaining the alcohol and cream mixture to stir the contents. Pour the contents into the glass, through the hole made with the straw. The meringue top should rise above the glass like a soufflé.
- Lay a straw across the top of the meringue and serve.
In a saucepan over high heat, stir together 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar until the sugar dissolves. Add one vanilla bean (split and scraped). Bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately remove the saucepan from the heat. Strain the mixture through a chinois and bottle. Makes 4 cups.
Macerate peels from 3 oranges in 1 1/4 cups of sugar overnight. The next day, remove the orange peels. Combine the infused sugar with 2 cups of orange juice and a 1/2 cup of lemon juice and bottle. Makes about 3 3/4 cups.