San Francisco bartender Erik Adkins uses the basic Whiskey Sour blueprint for this autumn-inspired drink. Instead of simple syrup, Adkins substitutes Grade B maple syrup to create a deep, frothy cocktail topped with spicy Angostura bitters. The Filibuster throws a bit of heat thanks to its strong rye backbone; Adkins recommends using a lower proof rye in order to preserve the egg white’s foam.
- 2 ounces rye (preferably Sazerac 6 Year)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce maple syrup, Grade B
- 1/2 ounce egg white or 1 small egg white
Garnish: Angostura bitters
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and dry shake.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- To garnish, dash Angostura bitters decoratively over top cocktail.