In this riff on the Aviation, Scofflaw’s Luke DeYoung replaces the maraschino liqueur with the bitter, gentian root-based Avèze. “It gives the cocktail body while not adding an overwhelming bitterness,” he says of the swap.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Prairie
- 3/4 ounces lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce Avèze
- 1/4 ounce crème de violette
- 1/4 ounce honey syrup (1:1, honey:water)
Garnish: cucumber slice
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a cucumber slice.