The Martini spent the better part of the ‘80s and ‘90s as a stripped-down, mostly-gin (or, gasp, vodka) version of itself. In an effort to reintroduce America to the joys of dry vermouth and orange bitters, Audrey Saunders created the sophisticated Fitty-Fitty cocktail at her New York City bar, Pegu Club.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Tanquerary
- 1 1/2 ounces dry vermouth, preferably Noilly Prat Extra Dry
- 2 dashes orange bitters
Garnish: lemon peel
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lemon peel.