The key ingredient in San Francisco bartender Duggan McDonald’s classic West Coast cocktail, the Laughing Buddha.
Five Spice Agave Nectar
Duggan McDonnell, Cantina | San Francisco, CA
Yield: 2 cups
- 8 ounces water
- 8 ounces agave nectar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 1/2 tablespoon white peppercorn
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/2 teaspoon clove (whole)
- 1/4 inch ginger (diced, fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the cinnamon stick, peppercorns, star anise pods, cloves and ginger.
- Bring back to a boil and add the salt.
- Add agave nectar and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Strain the syrup into a glass bottle or jar and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.