“For years, Ojen was just one of those things that you heard about but never really saw,” explains The Bywater bartender Chad Arnholt. “Like crème de rose or Sasquatch.” Though the anise-flavored liqueur is still largely unavailable outside Louisiana, as bottles make their way across the country in the form of personal gifts from NOLA locals, Arnholt has had opportunity to incorporate the New Orleans favorite in his Flamenco Cooler, which shakes Ojen with dry vermouth, fresh watermelon and lemon for a seasonal refresher.
- 1/2 ounce Legendre Ojen
- 1 1/2 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Lofi or Dolin
- 2 1/2 ounces watermelon juice
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup
Garnish: thin lemon slice
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker, add a fistful of pebble ice and shake.
- Pour into a footed pilsner, zombie or hurricane glass and top with more pebble ice.
- Garnish with a thin lemon wheel.