Bartender Jeffrey Morgenthaler of the Clyde Common in Portland, Oregon, created the Flannel Shirt for an autumnal event. Using classic fall flavors—apple, earth, spice and smoke—he whipped up this fleecy, bone-warming drink with the bold backbone of Scotch and a supporting cast of apple cider, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram and super-bold Averna. Morgenthaler says, “It reminds me of a hot drink that you’d have on Thanksgiving morning—only served cold.”
Jeffrey Morgenthaler, Clyde Common | Portland, OR
- 1 3/4 ounces Scotch
- 1 1/2 ounces apple cider
- 1/2 ounce Averna
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon demerara syrup (2:1, demerara sugar:water)
- 1/2 teaspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: orange peel
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice.
- Garnish with an orange peel.