Bobby Heugel and Tommy Ho of The Pastry War in Houston channel Hemingway’s drink of choice in their Floridita Daiquiri Frappé. Paying tribute to the Cuban original, the drink hews closely to the classic recipe with its dry white rum, maraschino liqueur, lime and granulated sugar, all blended with crushed ice and garnished with a lime wheel.
- 2 ounces Havana Club 3 Year "clone" (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 2 tablespoons refined sugar
- 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
Garnish: lime, cherry
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed for 20 seconds.
- Pour into a coupe.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and a maraschino cherry.
Havana Club 3 Year "Clone":
12 parts Brugal Especial extra dry rum
3 parts Caña Brava rum
3 parts Caña Brava 7 Year rum
1 part Wray & Nephew overproof rum
Combine all ingredients in a bottle and store at room temperature indefinitely.