“I really enjoy layering warm and cool flavors in cocktails,” bar owner Jessica Sanders says of this bold Gin & Tonic riff. “One of my favorite foils is basil set against baking spices like cardamom or cinnamon.” In this case, basil—in the form of eau de vie as well as the aromatic garnish—plays up the spice notes found in The Botanist gin.
Jessica Sanders, Bar Owner | Austin, Texas
- 1 1/2 ounces The Botanist Islay Dry gin
- 1/2 ounce basil eau de vie
- 1 barspoon Liber & Co. grapefruit shrub
- 3 ounces Fever-Tree Aromatic Tonic Water
Garnish: bouquet of opal basil, grapefruit peel and, if desired, a few toasted cardamom pods
- Build all ingredients in a 10-ounce highball or Collins glass.
- Fill glass with cubed ice, and gently stir.
- Garnish with basil, grapefruit peel, and toasted cardamom pods.