Two important changes from the original set this version apart. First, the brandy component is split between bonded apple brandy and unaged brandy, which makes the drink “more lively,” notes Frizzell; it also gives it a brighter pink hue, almost resembling a Cosmopolitan. Second, the absinthe is spritzed directly into the glass before the drink is poured, as well as on top of the drink, for extra aromatics.
- 1 ounce unaged apple brandy, preferably Laird's Jersey Lightning
- 1 ounce bonded apple brandy, preferably Laird's Straight Apple Brandy
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce grenadine(see Editor’s Note)
- 2 dashes Pernod Absinthe
- Combine the first four ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Mist a chilled coupe glass with absinthe, then strain into a glass.
- Spritz absinthe on top of the drink.
House Grenadine, adapted from The NoMad
4 cups organic pomegranate juice
2 cups white sugar
2 cups Demerara sugar
4 ounces Alwadi Pomegranate Molasses
1 orange (for the peel)
In a medium saucepan, simmer juice and sugars, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the molasses. Express the oils from one whole orange over the mixture. Stir to incorporate.