A sibling to the much more popular No. 2, the Corpse Reviver No. 1’s name is a bit of a misnomer; the spirit-heavy cocktail is much more suited to be a nightcap than a hangover remedy. To the original recipe’s Cognac, Calvados and sweet vermouth, Frank Caiafa adds orange bitters and an orange twist garnish in his revived recipe.
Frank Caiafa’s Corpse Reviver No. 1
Frank Caiafa | New York
- 1 1/2 ounces Cognac, preferably Courvoisier VSOP
- 3/4 ounce Calvados, preferably Boulard Grand Solage VSOP
- 3/4 ounce sweet vermouth, preferably Carpano Antica
- 1 dash orange bitters, preferably Regans’
Garnish: orange twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an orange peel.