Whereas the original Sherry Flip takes its character from nutty, rich oloroso sherry (at least in our version), so, too, does Erick Castro’s breakfast-ready French Toast Flip, which is also fortified with Scotch, applejack brandy and maple and allspice syrups.
French Toast Flip
Erick Castro, Polite Provisions | San Diego
- 3/4 ounce Scotch
- 3/4 ounce applejack
- 1 ounce oloroso sherry
- 1/2 ounce maple syrup
- 1/4 ounce allspice syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 1 whole egg
- 2 dashes whiskey barrel aged bitters, preferably Fee Bros.
Garnish: freshly grated cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients into shaker and shake vigorously without ice.
- Fill shaker with ice and shake again until cold.
- Strain into a sour glass and garnish.
1 cup water 1 cup sugar 4 tablespoons crushed, dried allspice In a sauce pain over medium heat, combine sugar, water and allspice. Heat until sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit until cooled. Strain, bottle and store.