Coating the interior of the glass with a particularly aromatic spirit before the drink is poured means extra fragrance even before the glass is lifted for a sip. (Plus, it adds a little extra flavor, and proof, to the finished cocktail.) While absinthe is usually the go-to rinsing agent, at San Antonio’s Juniper Tar, caraway-accented kümmel adds extra aroma to a vodka-based variation on the classic Tuxedo, eventually melding into the drink and creating the effect of a spiced gin, hold the juniper.
- kümmel rinse
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
- 1/2 ounce fino sherry
- 1 dash orange bitters
Garnish: demitasse spoon of caviar
- Pour the kümmel into a Nick & Nora glass.
- Wwirl to coat the interior, then pour out the excess liquid and set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Serve with a demitasse spoon of caviar on the side.