For Paul Taylor, Beverage Director of Washington D.C.’s Columbia Room, tequila and sherry go together like “peas and carrots.” Tequila’s affinity for salt finds the perfect match with amontillado sherry, whose production region’s proximity to the ocean introduces a distinct minerality to the fortified wine and acts as a vital bridge between the spirits and the acid from the fresh-squeezed lime.
Frozen Sherry Margarita
Paul Taylor, Columbia Room | Washington, D.C.
- 2 ounces reposado tequila, preferably Altos Reposado
- 1 ounce Amontillado sherry, preferably Hidalgo "Napoleon" Amontillado
- 1 1/2 ounces agave syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 30 drops saline solution (see Editor's Note)
- 1 1/2 cups ice
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into chilled snifter glass.
- Garnish with lime wheel.
Combine 10 parts water to 1 part salt. Shake until the salt dissolves.