A few select, but prominent, bars have taken up the 1880s Turf Club as their own, including the reborn Brooklyn chop house Gage & Tollner. “It’s definitely time for a comeback,” says Steve Bielawski, head bartender at Gage & Tollner.
- 2 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Junipero
- 1 ounce dry vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/2 teaspoon maraschino liqueur, preferably Luxardo
- 1/4 teaspoon absinthe, preferably Pernod
- orange twist
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients, including the orange peel, in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a coupe.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.