The winning cocktail in our recent blind Mai Tai tasting comes from Garret Richard. It had richness, flavor to burn and personality. With a few drops of saline, each and every one of the ingredients pops.
Garret Richard’s Mai Tai
Garret Richard, Exotica | New York
- 5 drops saline (1:5, salt:water)
- 1 ounce lime juice (reserve 1 spent lime wedge)
- 3/4 ounce Latitude 29 Orgeat
- 1/4 ounce Grand Marnier
- 1/2 ounce Clément Créole Shrubb
- 3/4 ounce Coruba Dark Rum
- 1 1/2 ounces Denizen Merchant's Reserve 8-Year Rum
Garnish: mint, orchid, lime twist
- Combine all ingredients except lime wedge in a mixing tin and shake with four Kold Draft (or similar) ice cubes.
- Strain into a double rocks glass with spent lime wedge in it.
- Top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with mint, an orchid and a lime twist.