Matthew Belanger’s Garuda reads like the Loaded Tecate by way of Japan. Rather than splashing hot sauce over the surface of the can, he dips it in shichimi togarashi, a piquant Japanese spice blend. The execution is simple enough: dip, open, sip. Once there’s enough space, Belanger recommends pouring in one ounce (“or more if you’re brave”) of Japanese single malt.
Matthew Belanger, Death & Co. | New York City
- 1 can watermelon beer, preferably 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon
- 1 ounce Japanese single malt, preferably Hakushu 12 year
- schichimi togarashi, for rimming
- lime wedge
- Rub the rim of the beer can with the lime wedge.
- Dip the can into the shichimi, open and sip.
- Pour in Japanese whiskey.