Created for the Tanqueray Gin challenge in the 2018 World Class bartender competition, this recipe employs a blender to create “fluffy” grapefruit juice with ease. The texture also helps intensify the grapefruit aroma and flavor, says Pavel Pamukchiev.
- 3 ounces improved grapefruit juice (see Editor's Note)
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Tanqueray No. 10
- 3 dashes yellow Chartreuse
Garnish: grapefruit slice
- In a blender, pulse the grapefruit juice several times, for a couple of seconds each time.
- In a chilled highball glass with ice, add the gin and yellow Chartreuse and stir.
- Top with grapefruit juice and stir to integrate.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice.
Improved Grapefruit Juice:
3 mid-size grapefruits
1/4 cup sugar
1 gram citric acid
1 gram malic acid
1 pinch salt
Wash and peel the grapefruits. Combine the peels with the sugar overnight to make oleo saccharum. In a cocktail shaker, combine the oleo saccharum, grapefruit juice, citric and malic acids and salt. Dry shake without ice then strain.