This drink is a variation on the basic Daisy formula: a sour kicked up with the addition of seltzer or soda water. Like any of the classics, the Gin Daisy is divided into two distinct genres: the Old School and the New School. The former relies on orange liqueur for its citrusy backbone while the latter knocks down the gin ratio and substitutes grenadine for a fruitier flavor.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce grenadine
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- soda water
Garnish: orange slice
- Add gin, lemon juice, grenadine and simple syrup to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain over ice into a Collins glass.
- Garnish with a slice of orange.