At Sling Bar, the gin-focused stall at Manhattan food hall Urban Hawker, the Gin Pahit is one of the most popular cocktails. The Malaysian classic is a cousin to Pink Gin, and was similarly influenced by the British Royal Navy; bitters were originally seen as a cure-all for nausea and various other ailments. While traditional recipes for the drink call on absinthe, Sling Bar simplifies the cocktail with an aromatic and licorice-accented gin.
- 2 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Tanglin Orchid
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar to water)
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: lemon twist
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake with ice.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass, then garnish with the lemon twist on the rim of the glass.