“When a guest asks for ginger, I love it,” says Sweet Liberty’s co-owner John Lermayer, “It has always been one of my favorite flavors to play with in the development of drinks.” In his Ginger Spice, Lermayer and bartender Chris Hopkins build off their current passion for all things tiki and rum-based, adding a cube of peeled ginger root to up the spice in this tropical blend of rum, yellow chartreuse, lime and sweeteners. Set over a bed of crushed ice, this so-called “vacation drink” is the perfect antidote to the South Beach climate.
John Lermayer and Chris Hopkins, Sweet Liberty | Miami
- 1 1/2 ounces rum, preferably Cana Brava
- 1/2 ounce Bitter Truth golden falernum
- 1/4 ounce yellow Chartreuse
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce orgeat
- 1x1 inch cube of peeled ginger root
Garnish: ginger slice, lime wheel
- Muddle ginger in base of mixing tin.
- Add remaining ingredients and shake with cubed ice.
- Fine strain into tiki mug and top with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a ginger slice and lime wheel.