While this drink, a variation on the Godfather cocktail, can be made in a mixing glass and strained over ice, Tyler Caffall suggests that it’s perfectly acceptable to build the drink directly in the glass. “You gotta imagine making this drink like your grandfather would have made it,” Caffall insists. “Was your grandfather Dale DeGroff? If yes, by all means stir in a mixing glass and then strain it over fancy ice.”
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon, preferably Medley 102
- 3/4 ounce amaretto, preferably Luxardo
- 1/2 ounce Scotch, preferably Laphroaig
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 3 drops sarsaparilla tincture (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: orange peel
- Combine all ingredients in a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Stir to integrate.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
1 cup 100-proof vodka
1 tablespoon sarsaparilla (3 to 4 pieces)
Steep sarsaparilla in vodka for an hour. Strain and bottle.