In the basement of a Spanish-style bungalow in Los Angele’s Echo Park neighborhood is HaleKahiki, a 1950s-inspired home tiki bar built by Alan Smart and Michael Uhlenkott. With a beautifully crafted rattan-paneled bar, glowing sconces and a charming volcanic mural painted by Uhlenkott set back into the wall, the basement oasis is the setting for many a tropical-themed drink, including this simple citrus and herb sour. Equal parts grapefruit to vodka with a splash of basil-infused sugar syrup, Smart’s Martini is a pared down slice of paradise.
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1/4 ounce simple syrup (1:1, sugar:water)
- 3 basil leaves, julienned
Garnish: basil leaf
- In a cocktail shaker, lightly muddle basil leaves with simple syrup.
- Add vodka, grapefruit juice and ice.
- Shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a basil leaf.