“People think pineapple rinds are not very usable in terms of drinks,” says Kelsey Ramage of the sustainably-minded Trash Tiki, but her green pineapple cordial proves otherwise. Blended with just water, sugar and basil, the result is a bright, verdant-hued sweetener that squeezes out the last bits of life in your pineapple and adds a dose of the tropics to just about any drink.
Yield: 1 cup
- 2 cups white or confectioners' sugar
- Rinds from one pineapple
- 5-6 basil stems, with leaves attached
- 1/2 cup water
- Blend sugar and water until almost dissolved.
- Add basil stems and pineapple and blend until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Strain through a fine strainer.
- Bottle and refrigerate for up to 5 days.