Named for the giant purple character some may remember from childhood McDonald’s commercials, this drink gets its lavender hue from ube, a variety of purple potato. Just a couple of drops of ube extract, easily purchased online, is all that’s needed to tint this Ramos Gin Fizz riff.
- 1 1/2 ounces gin, preferably Plymouth
- 3/4 ounce heavy ube syrup (see Editor’s Note)
- 1/8 ounce hazelnut liqueur, preferably Luxardo Angioletto
- 1/2 ounce heavy cream
- Egg white from one egg
- 1 ounce soda water
Garnish: ube cookie stick
- Combine all ingredients, except the soda water, in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain and add back to the tin and dry shake, without ice.
- Pour soda water into bottom of a chilled fizz glass.
- Strain drink into fizz glass.
- Garnish with ube cookie stick.
Heavy Ube Syrup:
Add 10 milliliters of ube extract to 1 liter of 1:1 simple syrup.