Dan Sabo of Hotel Figueroa puts an unexpected twist on a common Gin & Tonic garnish: the cucumber. Rather than floating cucumber slices in the drink, Sabo includes a cucumber juice ice cube that allows the drink to evolve over time and play off the cucumber notes that define Hendrick’s Gin, his preferred brand for this recipe.
Dan Sabo, Hotel Figueroa | Los Angeles
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Hendrick's
- 5 ounces tonic, preferably Fever Tree
- 2 dashes Dillon's rhubarb bitters
- 1 cucumber ice cube (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: cucumber slice, lime wheel
- Combine the gin and bitters in a Collins glass.
- Fill glass almost to the top with ice cubes.
- Using a bar spoon held vertically with the bowl touching the bottom of the glass, pour the tonic slowly down the handle.
- Place the cucumber ice cube so it floats at the top of the drink.
- Garnish with a cucumber slice and a lime wheel.
Cucumber Ice Cube
Juice or blend 2 English cucumbers then filter through a fine mesh strainer. Pour the strained juice into an ice cube tray and freeze.