Dan Sabo of Hotel Figueroa puts an unexpected twist on a common Gin & Tonic garnish: the cucumber. Rather than floating cucumber slices in the drink, Sabo includes a cucumber juice ice cube that allows the drink to evolve over time and play off the cucumber notes that define Hendrick’s Gin, his preferred brand for this recipe.
- 2 ounces gin, preferably Hendrick's
- 5 ounces tonic, preferably Fever Tree
- 2 dashes Dillon's rhubarb bitters
- 1 cucumber ice cube (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: cucumber slice, lime wheel
- Combine the gin and bitters in a Collins glass.
- Fill glass almost to the top with ice cubes.
- Using a bar spoon held vertically with the bowl touching the bottom of the glass, pour the tonic slowly down the handle.
- Place the cucumber ice cube so it floats at the top of the drink.
- Garnish with a cucumber slice and a lime wheel.
Cucumber Ice Cube
Juice or blend 2 English cucumbers then filter through a fine mesh strainer. Pour the strained juice into an ice cube tray and freeze.