A spoonful of Guinness stout “essence” adds a robust bitter note to this drink, created for a Martini-and-oyster pairing event where it matched up with briny Gulf Coast oysters. A rotovap (rotary evaporator) was employed for the original version, but a stovetop reduction method works, too.
- 1 3/4 ounces gin, preferably Ford's
- 1/2 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 1 barspoon Guinness essence (see Editor's Note)
- 5 drops saline solution (1 part salt: 4 parts water)
Garnish: Radish slice
- In a mixing glass, stir all ingredients with ice.
- Strain into chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with radish slice.
Pour one (15-ounce) can of Guinness into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until it has reduced down to approximately three ounces of liquid. Allow to cool.