Robby Dow describes this modern Alexander as “the perfect end of your evening: smooth, balanced, mentholated goodness with a nuance of banana on the finish, and definitely not too sweet.” The Hard Start Alexander hops into Grasshopper territory thanks to its namesake 50/50 base of Fernet-Branca and Brancamenta, which lends a distinctly minty note that’s rounded out with crème de cacao and a rich, housemade banana cream.
Hard Start Alexander
Robby Dow, Grand Army | Brooklyn, NY
- 1 1/2 ounces Hard Start (equal parts Fernet-Branca and Brancamenta)
- 1 ounce Crème de Cacao, preferably Tempus Fugit
- 1 ounce banana cream (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: shaved dark chocolate
- Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake until chilled, then fine-strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass.
- Garnish with shaved dark chocolate.
1 cup heavy cream
1 ounce banana liqueur, preferably Tempus Fugit Crème de Banane
1/2 ounce vanilla extract
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Lightly whisk to incorporate. Store in a sealable bottle in the refrigerator. Will keep up to two weeks.