The unanimous winner in our blind White Negroni tasting, Harrison Ginsberg’s recipe combines equal parts gin and Cocchi Americano with a smaller measure of Suze–for the requisite “gentian punch,” as Toby Cecchini described it—and a teaspoon of verjus blanc for a bright boost. The combination of ingredients presented a fresh green pepper quality that was unexpected but not unwelcome, and still held true to the aperitivo nature of the original White Negroni.
Harrison Ginsberg’s White Negroni
Harrison Ginsberg | New York City
- 1 ounce gin, preferably Fords
- 1 ounce Cocchi Americano
- 3/4 ounce Suze
- 1 teaspoon verjus blanc, preferably Fusion Napa Valley Verjus Blanc
Garnish: lemon twist
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.