A split base of sweet Old Tom and crisp London dry gins differentiates this Martinez from the classic Old Tom–only version. While similar to a Martini, this drink is somewhat richer, Harrison Ginsberg notes. “It could be an aperitif, a digestif,” he says. “It’s one of those cocktails that could go both ways.”
Harrison Ginsberg’s Martinez
Harrison Ginsberg | New York City
- 1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth, preferably Carpano Antica
- 1 ounce London dry gin, preferably Tanqueray
- 1 ounce Old Tom gin, preferably Porter’s Tropical
- 1 teaspoon maraschino liqueur, preferably Bordiga
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
Garnish: lemon twist
- Stir all ingredients with ice.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass or small coupe.
- Garnish with the lemon twist.