This version of the classic Matador cocktail drinks like a tequila Manhattan, with the rich, almost chocolatey notes of reposado tequila taking center stage. Choose a good reposado or añejo tequila, Ivan Mitankin advises: “You need a wood-aged tequila for the cocktail to come alive. With a blanco, it just loses it.”
Ivan Mitankin, Harry's | New York
- 2 ounces tequila, preferably Celestial Reposado
- 3/4 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 1/4 ounce Grand Marnier
- 3 dashes orange bitters
- grapefruit peel
Garnish: dehydrated lemon wheel
- Combine first four ingredients in a mixing glass over ice.
- Twist a grapefruit peel over the top of the glass to express the essential oils, then discard.
- Strain into a Nick & Nora glass.
- Garnish with dehydrated lemon wheel.