“This was actually the first drink I ever came up,” Tyndale says of this Whiskey Smash variation. Here, he opts for an applejack base (“a brown liquor that would be appealing to everyone”) in the classic smash template, alongside muddled blueberries.
Chip Tyndale, Dutch Kills and Flatiron Lounge | New York
- 2 ounces applejack, preferably Laird's Bonded Applejack
- 3 lemon quarters
- 1/2 ounce demerara syrup (2:1, sugar:water)
- 3-5 blueberries
- small handful of mint
Garnish: mint sprig, three blueberries on a pick
- Muddle the lemons, blueberries and mint in a mixing tin.
- Add apple brandy and demerara syrup and shake with ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over cracked or Kold Draft ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and three blueberries on a pick.