Fanny Chu’s riff on a Hemingway Daiquiri starts with a small-batch Panamanian white rum, which Chu likes for its “banana-y” notes, and swaps out the standard dose of maraschino liqueur for a splash of Luxardo cherry syrup, which helps balance the sour component from fresh lime. The standard grapefruit juice is replaced with a full three ounces of Fever-Tree grapefruit soda, resulting in a refreshing, bittersweet long drink.
Hemingway Hi Ball
Fanny Chu, Donna | Brooklyn, New York
- 1 1/2 ounce white rum, preferably Pedro Mandinga Silver
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/4 ounce Luxardo Maraschino cherry syrup
- 3 ounces Fever-Tree Sparkling Pink Grapefruit (chilled)
Garnish: lime wheel, grapefruit crescent, cherry
- Combine the rum, lime juice and cherry syrup in a mixing tin.
- Add 3 ice cubes and briefly shake to incorporate ingredients and slightly chill.
- Strain into a Collins glass filled with ice.
- Top off with Fever-Tree Sparkling Pink Grapefruit soda and give it a quick stir.
- Garnish with a lime wheel, grapefruit and cherry.