With his Americano riff, Max Green took inspiration from the Nonino family’s efforts to uplift grappa in Italy, and their choice to opt out of DOCG classification. “We decided it was better to declare that having Nonino on the label is of much higher value than anything else,” Elisabetta Nonino was once quoted as saying. Green’s Higher Value hews to the classic build of vermouth, soda and amaro, with L’Aperitivo Nonino subbing in for the latter. Lighter than the original, it’s a touch sweet, with notes of summer fruit and gentian.
- 2 dashes Scrappy’s Black Lemon Bitters
- 1 1/4 ounces Mattei Cap Corse Blanc
- 1 1/4 ounces L’Aperitivo Nonino Botanical Drink
- unsweetened sparkling green tea
Garnish: lemon twist and a green olive
- Add all ingredients except sparkling green tea to a highball glass with ice
- Stir until chilled, and top with sparkling tea.
- Garnish with a lemon twist and a green olive.