As befits a bar that tries to straddle Japanese and American cocktails styles, this Martini is an international affair, made with French vodka, Colorado gin, sake and sherry. This is accented by a tincture inspired by hinoki, a type of cypress tree native to central Japan; as hinoki is not available in the U.S., a close species of cypress tree from Colorado is used in its place. The tincture is applied in both dash and spray form—five of each—which lends a woodsy, cooling air to the drink.
- 1 1/4 ounces Grey Goose vodka
- 1 1/4 ounces Spring 44 Mountain Gin
- 1/2 ounce Lustau Fino Sherry Jarana
- 5 dashes hinoki tincture (see Editor's Note)
- 5 spritzes hinoki tincture (see Editor's Note)
Garnish: lemon twist, olive, rakkyu (a Chinese onion), and cypress leaf
- Combine all ingredients except tincture in a shaker filled with ice and shake until chilled, about 15 seconds.
- Strain into stemless frozen glass. It you own a masu, fill it with crushed ice and nestle the glass in the ice.
- Garnish with lemon twist, olive, rakkyu (a Chinese onion) and cypress leaf.
As a substitute for the