The mojito heads to tiki-town in this rhubarb-spiked mint-and-rum refresher from Matt Piacentini of NYC’s The Up & Up, created for the spring edition of our House Cocktail Hack column.
Hole in the Fence
Matt Piacentini, The Up & Up | New York City
- 2 ounces white rum
- 3/4 ounce rhubarb syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 4 - 5 leaves fresh mint
Garnish: lime wheel
- Add all ingredients, including the mint to a shaker, and shake vigorously until chilled.
- Strain over ice into a highball glass, allowing some of the mint bits into the glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
To make rhubarb syrup, combine 4 cups chopped rhubarb, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, until syrup is a deep pink. Let cool, then strain out rhubarb solids. Will last about two weeks in the fridge.