Named for its so-called healing properties, the Penicillin—bartender Sam Ross’ smoky and spicy twist on a Whiskey Sour—has become a modern classic in the cocktail canon. Victoria presents a cold-weather update by warming it up, literally, with hot apple cider sweetened with a fragrant honey syrup. The familiar Scotch whisky of the original gets a spicy kick of ginger root from Fever-Tree Ginger Beer, and added brightness from fresh lemon. “It’s warming, with a smoky spice flavor,” she says, “and perfect for transitioning into winter.”
The Fever-Tree Porch | New York
- 1 ounce Monkey Shoulder Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
- 1 ounce hot apple cider
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce honey syrup (2:1 honey to water)
- Fever-Tree Ginger Beer
Garnish: lemon wheel
- Temper a mug with hot water to warm.
- Discard hot water and combine Scotch, cider, lemon juice and honey syrup in the mug.
- Top with Fever-Tree Ginger Beer.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel.