“Sfumato is brooding, smoky, woody, and all things dark,” says Matt Piacentini of Up & Up, New York. “It’s like what would be in an Italian witch’s cauldron. Piacentini’s Hug-Tight is a smoky variation of the Champagne cocktail with equal parts Sfumato and mezcal. The sparkling wine topper “grabs all those aromatics from the amaro and mezcal and brings them up to the surface where they make little aromatic explosions for your nose,” he says.
- 1 ounce Cappelletti Amaro Sfumato
- 1 ounce mezcal, preferably Bruxo
- sparkling wine, to top
Garnish: lime wheel
- Combine ingredients in chilled rocks glass.
- Add ice and stir to cool, but not dilute.
- Top with dry sparkling wine, like a brut or extra brut Champagne or prosecco.
- Garnish with lime wheel.