At Death & Co., Matthew Belanger deploys the stone fruit-notes of umeshu to complement the botanical character of Dorothy Parker gin in a Martini variant called the Hummingbird. “A well-made umeshu…can bring bright acidity and almost floral fruit notes to a cocktail,” explains Belanger.
- 1 1/2 ounce gin, preferably Dorothy Parker
- 1 1/2 ounce umeshu, preferably Kamoizumi
- 1/2 ounce plum eau de vie, preferably Maison de la Mirabelle
- 1/4 ounce genepy, preferably Dolin
- 1/5 teaspoon cane syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass over ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled Martini glass and serve with a "sidecar" containing an extra pour of the cocktail.