“My answer to a spicy Margarita,” Sarah Morrissey says, of the aptly named I’m On Fire. Mezcal in place of tequila provides a smoky profile, while Cholula hot sauce kicks up the heat. Rather than just reaching for the expected measure of lime, Morrissey uses fresh pineapple juice for both acidity and extra sweetness.
- 2 dashes Cholula hot sauce
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce honey syrup (1:1, honey:water)
- 3 ounces mezcal
Garnish: ancho chili powder, pineapple leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
- Strain into a chilled rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with ancho chili powder and a pineapple leaf.