With its black trumpet mushroom tincture, I’m Ya Huckleberry highlights the increasing crossover between culinary tradition and contemporary drink-making. “Black trumpet mushrooms were like…the shoe laces in the shoe of that cocktail,” explains Lee Zaremba. “It creates a sense of structure.”
- 1 1/2 ounces white rye, preferably Redemption
- 1/2 ounce gin, preferably Jensen Bermondsey Dry
- 3/4 ounce huckleberry syrup (see Editor's Note)
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce madeira
- 1/4 ounce Cynar
- 3 dashes black trumpet mushroom tincture (see Editor's Note)
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake with ice.
- Strain into a coupe.
2 parts huckleberries
1 part water
Combine ingredients in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture through chinois, pressing to release the juice. Then combine, by weight, with equal parts sugar.
Black Trumpet Mushroom Tincture:
180 grams black trumpet mushrooms
1 bottle high proof bourbon
Add ingredients to a large Mason jar and allow them to steep for one week, or until mushrooms become aromatic within the bourbon.